Harworth Group is committed to delivering shareholder returns in the right way through creating sustainable new places that support the regeneration of the North of England and the Midlands.
We have selected 5 principal themes to address major, social, economic and environmental trends to create value for our stakeholders and the business, “The Harworth Way”.
These themes in turn support the delivery of 10 of the UN’s sustainability development goals:
We build and strengthen our communities now and for future generations.
- We act as long-term site custodian on our developments, meaning that we are part of the fabric of places
- We are delivering some of the largest commercial and residential sites in the Midlands and North with the potential to contribute over £3.5bn GVA p.a, helping to ‘level up’ the national economy
- This work is helping to meet the UK’s undersupply of housing, with developments including affordable housing and a range of tenures
We aim to create places in a sustainable way, future proofing our sites, as well as minimising our own environmental impact.
- In our role as master developer, we often regenerate sites with former industrial uses, safely managing any environmental liabilities while we do so
- We are landlord for a number of low carbon energy schemes and several leading low-carbon firms are occupiers on our sites such as ITM, Xeros and UKAEA
- Surface water attenuation schemes are installed across all of our major developments
We aim to build a business where people can flourish and placemake to provide spaces that promote health and wellbeing.
- We develop the skills of our people and live the “Harworth Values”
- Health & Safety across our sites is our first priority with a strong culture, promoting responsible working across its sites from its staff and contractors in delivering new places
- Hundreds of acres of new public open space are delivered each year to support more active lifestyles
We develop strong partnerships based on a shared socially responsible approach working towards creating great new places.
- We focus on creating sustainable value through continuing partnerships with customers, local authorities, the Government and our suppliers
- Harworth sites are often centres of excellence for industry and stimulate growth. This includes partnerships with 3 leading Universities to promote new skills and innovation relating to advanced manufacturing, wellness and rail
Leading on governance and disclosure: high standards of corporate governance are essential to the effective operation of the group.
- Good governance has been built into the foundations of the Harworth approach from the start. We are now profiling better how governance supports the delivery of our long-term purpose and furtherance of our strategic priorities
- We aim to improve continually in these areas and align with industry best practice